Don’t let the number of steps in this recipe scare you off. The effort isn’t really that great, but the flavours in this fresh and crispy salad are.
Total Time: Prep 15 Min. Cook: 6 Min.
Inactive Time: 1-8 hours
2 cloves garlic, peeled, halved
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon basil, chopped
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 cup Panko crumbs
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
3 4oz logs, soft fresh goat cheese, each halved crosswise, halves pressed t0 ½ inch thickness
2 large egg white, lightly beaten until foamy
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 ¾ inch thick slices olive bread
additional olive oil
2 5 ounce packages mixed baby greens
1. Place the garlic and oil in a small measuring cup or ramekin.
2. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave for 30 seconds. Transfer garlic to a small bowl. Reserve oil.
3. Using a fork, coarsely mash garlic. Add basil, vinegar and mustard to mashed garlic. Whisk until smooth.
4. Gradually whisk in reserved garlic oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Let stand 1 hour at room temperature and whisk before using.)
5. Mix Panko, thyme, parsley, basil, pepper and salt in a medium bowl to blend.
6. Dip each cheese round into egg whites, turning to coat.
7. Coat each round with Panko mixture. Transfer coated cheese rounds to a plate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
8. Heat the grill to medium-high heat.
9. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a heavy large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cheese rounds and cook until golden crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
10. Brush bread slices on both sides with olive oil. Grill until beginning to toast, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
11. Place washed greens in a large bowl and toss with all but 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette, season to taste with salt and pepper.
12. Divide salad among 6 plates. Top each with 1 cheese round and 1 slice of grilled bread.
13. Drizzle cheese rounds with remaining 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette and serve.
Enjoy this flavourful salad with Vin Bon Sauvignon Blanc
Recipe courtesy of Bon Appetit, June 2002