Who doesn’t love hummus? It’s delicious, good for you and incredibly easy to make yourself. This flavourful version will convince you to make it more often than you buy it.
Total Time: Prep 15 Min.
Servings: 3 cups
• 1 can chickpeas, drained, reserving ¼ cup liquid of
• ¼ cup tahini (sesame paste)
• ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• ¼ cup star anise (optional)
• ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
• ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
• ½ cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped, plus whole leaves for garnish
• 1 plum tomato, peeled, seeded, and very finely chopped
• 2 green onions, very thinly sliced
• Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a food processor, combine chickpeas and reserved liquid, tahini. Lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, star anise (if using), ginger and cumin; puree until smooth.
2. Transfer to a serving bowl and stir in cilantro, tomato and green onion; season with salt and pepper.
3. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the top of the hummus. Before serving, garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart
Suggested Pairing: Vin Bon Johannesburg Riesling Classic