It’s that time of year when the herbs in your patio planters are flourishing. Pick some of that fresh, fragrant basil tonight and whip up this easy and satisfying meal.
Prep Time: 5 Mins. Cook Time: 10 Mins.
3 cups fresh basil leaves, slightly packed
1/3 cup grated Parmigiano cheese
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
¼ cup toasted pine nuts (see notes)
2 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
½ cup olive oil
Pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
454 gr. package of spaghetti
1. Put a pot of salted water to boil and cook spaghetti according to the package instructions.
2. Add the basil leaves, Parmigiano, minced garlic, lemon zest, pine nuts, lemon juice and if using the red pepper flakes in a blender or food processor. Blend continuously until the ingredients start to break down. I
3. Stream the olive and allow the ingredients to emulsify. You want to continue processing until the olive oil is completely combined with the basil and the other ingredients.
4. Taste the pesto, add additional garlic or Parmigiano if you wish.
5. Pour over cooked spaghetti, stir until the pasta is coated and serve.
To toast the pine nuts, arrange them in a single layer baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F, until lightly toasted – 6 to 8 minutes. Cool completely before using.
If you do not wish to use your pesto sauce right away, Or, if you’d like to double the batch to save some for later, you could store it in a small container where the pesto fits all the way to the top. Press down with plastic wrap to remove any air pockets. The pesto could be stored in the fridge for 1 week.
Suggested Pairing: Vin Bon Classic Verdicchio