Pasta and wine were meant to be served together! Here’s a delicious sausage and pasta dish to try tonight.
Total Time: Prep: 15 mins Cook: 20 mins
• Olive oil
• 4 spicy Italian sausage links, casings removed
• 1 large onion quartered and thinly sliced
• 1 ½ teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
• 1 yellow bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
• 1 orange bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
• 4 cloves of garlic, pressed
• ½ cup white wine
• 1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
• 2 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped
• ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, julienned
• 8 ounces Pappardelle pasta, uncooked
Vin Bon Signature Amarone
1. Place a large, heavy-bottom pan or braising pot over medium high heat; add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
2. Once the oil is hot, crumble the spicy sausage into the pan in small chunks, keeping the sausage fairly chunky, allowing it to brown in the oil for only a few minutes on each side.
3. When the crumbled sausage is browned, remove it from the pan/pot with a slotted spoon and place it into a small bowl.
4. Add the sliced onion into the pan with the sausage drippings and allow to caramelize and become golden for roughly 5 minutes or so, stirring to prevent them from burning. Add more olive oil if necessary.
5. Once the onion starts to become golden, add the salt, Italian seasoning and ground pepper and stir to combine.
6. Prepare the pappardelle according to the package instructions.
7. Add the peppers to the pot with the onions and saute` until they are slightly tender, about 2 minutes.
8. Add the garlic and once it become aromatic, add in the white wine and allow it to reduce for a few moments, until almost completely reduced.
9. Add in the diced tomatoes with their juice and return the browned sausage back into the pan, gently fold the mixture to combine.
10. Allow the mixture to gently simmer for about 3-4 minutes and then turn off the heat.
11. To finish of the sauce, drizzle in about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil to create a silky, rich flavor and add in the chopped parsley and about half of the julienned basil.
12. Once the pasta is cooked and drained, add it to the sauce, using tongs to gently toss and combine the pappardelle noodles.
13. Check the seasoning to see if you should add additional salt or pepper.
14. Put 4 equal servings to bowls and garnish with remaining basil. Top with grated parmigiano cheese and extra olive oil, if you wish.